We don’t know about you, but every time we get on the phone with a potential caregiver, we’re at a loss about what to ask them. We’re all, “So, where ya from???” and then we hang up without any information as to their experience, rate or general availability.
Not anymore. Thanks to our friends at Bambino Babysitting – a next generation babysitting app that leverages the power of location, social connections and personalized recommendations to create trusted relationships between families and sitters – we now know what we should be asking during an interview with a future babysitter, nanny or caregiver.
Of course, many of the questions you might want to ask are totally situationally dependent. If you live in the suburbs, you might need to know about transportation, as opposed to the city. Or if you or your child has a specific medical need or allergy, you’ll want to ask about that, too. But outside of specificities, Bambino outlined the need-to-ask questions all parents should ask a future babysitter.
9 Essential Questions for a Future Caregiver
- How long have you worked in childcare and what is your experience?
- What ages do you have experience working with?
- What is your rate and availability?
- Are your CPR or first aid certified?
- Do you have reliable transportation?
- How do you communicate with parents and the kids?
- Do you know how to cook basic meals and/or prepare bottles?
- Are you comfortable with cleaning up after the kids or basic housekeeping when needed?
- What type of activities do you like to do with the kids you babysit?
And of course, don’t forget to ask for references. Even we know that one!